Bank of Yolo (1910)

//Bank of Yolo (1910)
Bank of Yolo (1910) 2016-12-28T20:15:58+00:00

Project Description

301 G Street

This is an example of an important American architectural genre: the small-town classical revival bank. Although a small building, it establishes a massive scale through careful proportioning. The Davis branch of the Bank of Yolo opened in 1909 in a small wooden building located behind the present structure, which was completed in 1910. The bank served Davis in this building from 1910 to 1933 when it failed. Although it did not open its doors after the Crash, it repaid its depositors in full within a few years. After the Crash, the building housed other banking operations and also City of Davis offices (the flagpole on the roof is a carry-over from those civic days). It is currently occupied by a restaurant, the Noodle Express. It and the adjacent Davis Enterprise building are the northernmost remaining buildings in the historic Davis “main street” streetscape along the West side of what is now G Street. (Others are # 6, # 7 and # 24.)

Project Details

Categories: