Greive/Asbill Home (1911)

Home/Historical Properties/Greive/Asbill Home (1911)
Greive/Asbill Home (1911) 2016-12-28T20:15:58+00:00

Project Description

310 A Street

This modest one and a half story shingled Craftsman bungalow is significant because of its simple but fine design and because of its association with an early Davis family. It was built in 1911 by Albert N. Greive and his wife “Jakie” after coming to Davis in 1890 and opening a livery stable. In 1898, they built their first hotel which burned in 1906, and a
second, the four story Buena Vista, also burned in 1918. Both hotels had served as important social centers and the Greives, especially Jakie, were heavily involved in community affairs. For example, at the time of the legislative action (1911) which banned alcohol in Davis due to its potentially negative impact on students, Governor Hiram Johnson held a special hearing on the issue, inviting both sides to speak. Jakie, owner of the Buena Vista Hotel with its bar, feeling betrayed after she and other saloon owners had vigorously supported the drive to bring the University Farm to Davisville, told the Governor that “residents would rather have the saloons than the farm if a choice had to be made between the two” (Lofland, Page 56). A daughter born in 1889, Vere Grieve Asbill, was also quite active in the community and in her youth played “mood music” for the first silent films shown in Davis. (Note: As is not uncommon in historical records, a lack of consistency exists relative to names of these parties. The Davis Register of Historic Places, the primary reference for these descriptions, refers to Jack Grieve and his wife “Jackie,” but in “Davisville ’68” (Larkey, Page 171), the reference is to Albert N. and his wife “Jakie”. Two spellings, Grieve and Greive, are also indicated in Davisville ’68.)

Project Details

Categories: