Montgomery House (1890)

//Montgomery House (1890)
Montgomery House (1890) 2013-07-03T15:06:31+00:00

Project Description

923 3rd Street

This modest one story vernacular house derives its significance from its early pioneer associations and its careful architectural design. The home was built and occupied by Andrew and Louisa Glocker Montgomery. Andrew was one of 14 children of an early Yolo farmer, Alexander Montgomery, who farmed a section of land where the Willowbank and Oakside subdivisions are now located. Louisa was the daughter of Charles Glocker, a German immigrant, who farmed 640 acres in the North Putah District. Their daughter, Marguerite, was a revered school teacher in Davis for whom the Marguerite Montgomery Elementary School is named. Located in one of Davis’ early residential areas, the house is a very fine example of the elegance which is sometimes achieved by the vernacular and is carefully proportioned with some exceptionally
handsome details.

Project Details

Categories: