The Davis Arch (1916)

Home/Historical Properties/The Davis Arch (1916)
The Davis Arch (1916) 2013-07-03T15:19:01+00:00

Project Description

The Davis Arch, one of the most striking structures in early downtown Davis, no longer exists. It spanned 2nd Street at G, between buildings # 6 and # 7, welcoming visitors from the depot (# 8) and proclaiming “Davis” to be “Gateway to Yolo County” and “Home of the University Farm.” It was a symbol of civic pride and unity, having been built in 1916 following a suggestion from a State Farm student, but adopted as a project by The Woman’s Improvement Club in the absence of a local government to fund such an undertaking. Reportedly because the Arch proved hazardous to increasing automobile traffic, it was torn down after a relatively short life in 1924. (Larkey, Page 124, 126 and Lofland, Page 50, 74)

Project Details

Categories: