Project Description

604 2nd St

This two story Stick-Italianate house is a superb example of the style and the most sophisticated and best preserved of its type in Davis. It was built in 1875 for William Dresbach, a prominent local merchant who was appointed Davisville’s first Postmaster, and the elegant 12 room house reflects the lifestyle of one of early Davisville’s wealthiest citizens. As Postmaster, he is credited with naming the town after Jerome C. Davis, although there is some debate about that. Before leaving Davisville for San Francisco in 1877, Dresbach owned a general store, a livery stable, a hotel and saloon, and a grain warehouse. The house, with an intact water tower and remnants of an orange grove, is located in a transition area between the downtown commercial district and remnants of the early residential area. It is one of the few remaining early mansions in the downtown area and currently houses City of Davis offices