505 2nd Street
This home, an example of the fusion of Colonial Revival and Craftsman elements, was built in 1920 by Henry Jacob Hamel and his wife Lida and served as the home for this prominent, early Davisville family for many years. Henry was the son of a German immigrant, Hartman Henry Hamel, who came to Davis in 1867. Hartman located his family on a 1200 acre ranch just south of Davisville in Solano County, which became the nucleus of a large scale cattle and farming operation. (The Werner/Hamel House**, built in 1859 on the Solano County site and purchased by Hartman in 1869, was eventually moved into Davis and is now located at 1140 Los Robles.) The home of Henry and his family is currently the office of Coldwell Banker Real Estate and the east end of the building and the handicapped access ramp are recent, business related additions.